Published Appellate Cases
- Zetino-Cruz, v. Benitez-Zetino, et al., Slip Op. CoA 15-1154, 249 N.C. App. 218 , ____ NC.App. ____, 791 S.E.2d 100 (N.C. App., Aug. 16, 2016)
- In re D.L.W., D.L.N.W., and V.A.W., Slip Op. NC 252PA15, 368 NC 835, 788 S.E.2d 162 (N.C., June 10, 2016)
- Tiscareno-Garcia v. Holder, Slip Op. 13-2459, 780 F.3d 205 (4th Cir., Mar. 3, 2015)
- Sundberg v. Bailey, Slip Op. 18-1021, (4th Cir., Mar. 29, 2019)
- Malmgren v. Malmgren, Slip Op. 18-2200 , 747 Fed.Appx. 945 (4th Cir., Jan 16, 2019)
- In re D.D.D., J.L.D.D., F.A.T.D., Slip Op. CoA 16-1239 , 802 S.E.2d 619 (N.C. App., 2017)
- In re C.O.W., Slip Op. CoA 14-517, 765 S.E.2d 553 (N.C. App., 2014)
- In re A.G.,Slip Op. CoA 13-807, 757 S.E.2d 523 (N.C. App., 2014)
- In re R.D., Slip Op. CoA 12-1400, 741 S.E.2d 514 (N.C. App., 2013)
- In re G.M., A.M., M.C., Slip Op. CoA 12-138, 725 S.E.2d 923 (N.C. App., 2012)
Publications, Continuing Legal Education Presentations & Other Speaking Engagements
- September 24, 2017 Presentation What Line? Realities of the Immigration System, at the United Church of Chapel Hill. You may review the slideshow.
- July 13, 2017 Lecture: Child Migrants, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, and Present Realities, at the North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, NC. You may review the outline and slideshow.
- February 2, 2017 Durham County Bar Association CLE Event, CLE Presentation: The North Carolina Courts and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), at the Hope Valley Country Club in Durham, NC, with co-presenter Evelyn R.G. Smallwood, Esq., of Hatch-Rockers Immigration. You may review the outline and slideshow.
- August 14, 2016 CLE: Special Immigrant Juvenile Status: Serving and Protecting Undocumented Children through Child Welfare and Immigration Proceedings, with co-presenter Prof. Claire R. Thomas, at the National Association of Counsel for Children’s Annual Conference in Philadelphia, PA. You may review the outline.
- June 4, 2016 Presentations with US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants and Durham Public Schools on Immigration Relief Options and Know Your Rights, at Riverside High School, Jordan High School, and Southern High School, Durham, NC (and Northern High School, Durham, NC on April 21, 2016).
- May 16, 2016 CLE:The North Carolina Courts and Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), at the Elon University School of Law, Greensboro, NC. You may review the outline and slideshow.
- October 16, 2015 Guardian ad Litem Attorney Advocate Annual Conference CLE:Special Immigrant Juvenile Status for GAL Attorney Advocates, at the NC Judicial Center, Raleigh, NC. You may review the slideshow.
- September 19, 2015 Live Taping of It’s Your Life: Human Trafficking hosted by Carena Lemons, Esq., with guests Leto Copeley, Esq., and Meghan Deustch-Blanco, Esq., taped at the NCCU School of Law (Aired Feb. 11 2016 on RTN 10 at 5:00 pm, and available on the show’s YouTube channel).
- September 18, 2015 UNC Pathways to Pro Bono CLE: Representing Immigrant Children in Child Custody Hearings, an the UNC School of Law in Chapel Hill, NC, with co-presenter Kelly Durden, Esq., of Legal Services of Southern Piedmont.
- April 29, 2015 NC Bar Association CLE: Special Immigrant Juvenile Status and the Family Court Order Process at the NC Bar Center, in Cary, NC, with co-presenters Mark Bowers, Esq., of Legal Services of Southern Piedmont, and Julie Spahn, Esq., of the Forsythe Immigration Law Firm.
- March 21, 2015 Presentation The “Unaccompanied Alien Child” (UAC) Crisis: Push Factors in Central America; The US Government Response; Legal Options and Difficulties for Immigrant Youths, co-presenting with Attorney Joanna M. Gaughan, at the 2015 Faith and Immigration Statewide Summit hosted by the NC Council of Churches in Durham, NC – You may review the slideshow.
- March 3, 2015 CLE Presentation Special Immigrant Juvenile Status at the IMMIGRANT PATHWAY Institute 2015: Raleigh, hosted by Centro Internacional de Raleigh at the Campbell Law School in Raleigh, NC – You may review the slideshow.
- February 27, 2015 CLE Presentation Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) in the North Carolina State Courts at a training on Immigration Relief for Unaccompanied Children, hosted by the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants at Shaw University in Raleigh, NC – you may review the outline & slideshow.
- January 12, 2015 CLE Presentation Custody Cases involving Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) in the North Carolina Courts co-presenting with Professor Beth Posner and Attorney Joanna M. Gaughan at the Durham County, NC, Courthouse – you may review the outline & slideshow.
- September 16 2014, podcast on Special Immigrant Juvenile Status with Prof. Lenni Benson and Atty. Joanna M. Gaughan – listen to the audio & review the handout.
- August 17, 2016, IndyWeek, Durham, NC, Durham Judge Moves Custody Hearing Out of County, Appeals Court Returns Case to Durham by Lauren Horsch (Static Version: HERE).
- June 9, 2016, Qué Pasa Newspaper, Raleigh, NC, They Recommend to Keep Going to Court and to Consult with an Attorney about Options for Relief (Spanish Title: Recomiendan no dejar de ir a corte y consultar con un abogado sobre alivios migratorios disponibles) by Eloy Tupayachi (Static Versions: English & Español).
- December 2, 2015, IndyWeek, Durham, NC, The invisibles: 57,000 minors crossed the Southern border last year. Should we send them back? by Billy Ball (Static Version: HERE).
- April 17, 2015, Qué Pasa Newspaper, Raleigh, NC, He was about to be deported, but they miraculously let him go (Spanish Title: Estaba a punto de ser deportado pero lo dejaron ir de milagro) by Eloy Tupayachi (Static Versions: English & Español).
- April 17, 2015, online publication Dalton Cox Reports: Multimedia and Multicultural Journalism, Elon, NC, Undocumented children from other countries seek resources and relief in North Carolina by Dalton Cox.
- March 11, 2015, online publication COM450 Multimedia Journalism Pairs Project, Elon, NC, Border surge brings unaccompanied minors to North Carolina by Katy Canada and Mackenzie Roberts (Static Versions: Here).
- March 04, 2015, Law360, New York, 4th Circ. Says Entry Conviction Doomed Moral Character Bid by Matthew Bultman.
- November 12 2014, Qué Pasa Newspaper, Raleigh, NC, Worker arrested in ICE raid in 2010 is seeking justice (Spanish Title: Trabajador detenido en redada de ICE en 2010 sigue buscando justicia) by Eloy Tupayachi (Static Versions: English & Español)
Academic Articles Regarding Published Cases
- August 26, 2016, UNC School of Government Blog “On the Civil Side” Posted by Prof. Cheryl Howell: No Sua Sponte Change of Venue Allowed. [Static Version Here]